Friday 24 May 2013

One Brimstone Moth on its way...

Final update on Project 29A




Yes, that distinctive crescent-moon-with-a-nose at the end of last post could only belong to one moth. My Brimstone Moth emerged as an adult on Monday, just a day after I rescued it from its pill box coffin. A very close shave!

I released it that night in my garden - 30 miles from its home in Murlough NNR. Releasing isects that far from home isn't best practice but was the best thing to do in the circumstances. I couldn't have got it back there soon enough to justify keeping it temporarily captive, and besides Brimstone Moth is on my garden list so it should hopefully have no trouble finding a mate.

I will put off that promised post about its life story again - but have a look at the Rearing Projects page - I've added more detail in its entry.

And two days later, two more wee beasties emerged...



That's for next time. Any guesses? ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment