Sunday 19 May 2013

It ain't dead!

Update on Project 29A


9 May...


19 May...


Spot the difference?

The Brimstone Moth pupa may not be wiggling, but it's still developing - you can see the change in the pattern on the abdomen and most importantly, the symmetrical markings are showing through the wing cases!

Thank goodness I took it out of the pill box I'd put it in to have a look at it this morning! I was obviously a bit too hasty in pronouncing it dead. Of course, it makes sense that once the pupa has mostly changed into a moth inside, it won't wiggle like it did when it was mostly a caterpillar inside! Moths don't wiggle their abdomens much!

I have still to post photos of it as a caterpillar - that will hopefully happen soon!

[Edit: The Coxcomb Prominent pupa, however, is definitely gone - when I inspected it this morning I found a crack running down its leg case.]

No comments:

Post a Comment